Sustainable Waste Management
The tone set by your management practices can have a significant impact on the success of your sustainability effort. Here are a few sustainable management practices to consider.
- Create a vision, mission statement and core values that reflect your commitment to sustainability
- Vision is a concrete picture of where you want to be in 3-4 years, where anything is possible.
- Mission statement is why you exist. It answers the question, “What is the ultimate result of your work?” It focuses on the outcomes and results, and can easily be memorized.
- Core values are characteristics that define you. They are the values you want to see more evident in your daily lives.
- Publically communicate your commitment to sustainability
- Understand how your business affects the environment and the community by assessing your practices and the full life-cycle of your products and services.
- Include sustainability considerations in your strategic planning, training, performance evaluation and policies
- Monitor and measure your progress toward sustainability, seeking continuous improvement
- Celebrate your successes and learn from your mistakes
The Sustainable Business Council’s Strive Towards Sustainability Program walks you through a basic sustainable practices assessment and analysis of initial sustainability projects to consider. Members of the Sustainable Business Council offer a wide variety of sustainable products and services to help you in this quest.